Windows are an investment that many of us hope will last for years. But all windows have a lifespan, and the windows of the past do not last as long as windows today. Windows bought prior to 2000 may already be nearing the end of their lifespan, and windows from the 1990s, 1980s, and prior are likely long since overdue.
But windows do not have a way to tell you that they are “overdue.” You have to look for signs. Unless a window shatters or there is some other more obvious sign of damage, you’re only going to notice that it’s time to replace your windows when you experience other problems around your home.
Typical Signs It’s Time to Replace Windows
California Energy Consultant Service is always available for an energy efficiency assessment. If you’d like us to review your property and see if it’s time to replace your windows or improve other areas around your home, we’re happy to come by and identify places where your current energy efficiency can be improved. We’re based in Sacramento County in Orangevale, and service places like Fair Oaks, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, El Dorado Hills, Roseville, and all throughout the region.
But, in the interim, there are signs that you can look out for to identify when your windows may be causing you problems. These include:
- Higher than Normal Energy Use – Energy has become more expensive with SMUD, PGE, Pioneer, and essentially all energy providers. Higher than normal bills are normal. But higher than normal energy use is not. Your property should still use roughly the same amount of electricity and gas every year unless you have gone through a major change, like adding an electric car. If your energy usage is above what it used to be, your windows may to be blame.
- Trouble Maintaining Temperature – It’s been hot here in the Sacramento area. We are, as of this writing, currently in the middle of a record breaking heatwave. But on typical days, if you find that your temperature is getting too hot or too cold and your HVAC isn’t able to work properly, windows may be to blame.
- Signs of Leaks or Pests – You may be able to feel air leaks around your windows if you put your hand around them, or you may notice an increase in the number of small pests that seem to be appearing near your windows and finding a way to get in. Both of those are signs the window has started to age.
- Condensation Between Glass Panes – Some windows, especially older double pane windows, may start to show signs of condensation buildup in between the glass frame. That typically means that the windows are past their expected lifespan.
These are some of the most common signs that window needs to be replaced. But they’re not the only reason to replace them. You should also replace them if:
- You would like your energy bill to be less expensive. Window technology has improved a lot, and the double pane windows are today are better than the double pane windows of a few decades ago.
- You would like a new style. Windows also have far more styles available that can improve the look of your home and increase your property values. From black windows to brown windows to gray windows, there are many new and exciting options available.
Many people switch out windows when they’re looking to improve the look of their property or reduce their energy bills, no matter the age of their current windows.
Start Today – Call CECS California Energy Consultant Service is ready to provide you with a quote for window replacement. We can also provide an honest assessment and determine whether or not your windows even need to be replaced. For more information, call our team, today.