Sacramento, Orangevale, and the rest of the NorCal region experience some extremely warm summers. Just this summer, many weeks had temperatures above 100 degrees. This hot weather makes it essential to have a working and energy efficient air conditioner.
But if your AC has gone a few years without regular maintenance, has been under extreme stress in keeping up with hot temperatures, or is simply getting older and beginning to break down, your air conditioner can begin to experience problems that require AC repair in Sacramento. These are some of the issues that most often occur with central air conditioning and give you a reason to schedule AC repair.
Common AC Repairs in Sacramento Properties
A central air conditioner has many components and moving parts, and all need to be working in conjunction for an air conditioner to function properly. If any element breaks, this can lead to a range of different issues.
Fortunately, the signs of one of these problems generally show up in one of a few different ways, making it possible to determine what the issue might be and securing the correct repair:
- AC Doesn’t Turn On – If your AC is not running all or unexpectedly powers off, there is most likely an issue with the power supply or the settings. Before you call an AC repair company, make sure your thermostat is set to the right settings, the batteries in your thermostat are functional, and the fuse for an air conditioner has not been tripped. If none of these issues are the problem, an HVAC company can do more extensive troubleshooting and repairs.
- Hot Air Coming from Vents – If the air coming from your vents is lukewarm or hot, the first steps you can take are to check your thermostat settings to make sure they are correct. You should also replace air filters monthly to keep them from getting clogged. A clogged air filter is unable to properly cool the air. In any instances where changing out the air filter does not make the air cool again, it is time to schedule AC repair with a professional.
- Clogged Drains – A central AC has a condensate drain that removes moisture from the system, but this drain can become clogged by any debris in the condensate. A clog will lead to mold and odors. If you are noticing odors when you run your AC, you might need a repair to clear the drain.
- Leaks in Your Air Conditioner – Your outdoor unit will naturally produce some water which is not a problem. But if you are noticing more water than normal, it could indicate a clogged condensate drain, clogged air filters, or a broken condensate pan. If your AC was recently installed, excess water could also mean a problem that occurred during installation. With a wide variety of causes, an AC professional is usually necessary to diagnose the issue.
- Refrigerant Leaks – The AC coils and refrigerant are a closed system, so there should never be refrigerant leaking. But damage to coils or corrosion over time can lead to a weak spot. Leaking coolant will cause your AC to work harder to produce the same amount of cooling power and could also cause coils to freeze or result in damage to the compressor, all of which needs to be addressed by an HVAC technician.
- Strange Noises from Your AC – Any unusual noise from your air conditioner can indicate a problem. You should pay attention every time your AC turns on and if you hear begging, rattling, squealing, or any noises that you have not heard before, you should plan for AC service to determine the source of the problem.
- Sensor Problems in the Thermostat – The thermostat sensor in your AC system has very careful placement in proximity to the evaporator coil. If the sensor or the coil has been jostled, it can lead to issues such as an air conditioner that turns on at unusual times, cycles continuously, or causes your energy bills to go up.
- Electrical Problems – A variety of wires connect the different components of your AC to provide the necessary power. These wires are often fragile and can corrode over time or their connection points can weaken, leading to a range of different problems.
Although you can take a few steps on your own if you have noticed any problems with your AC, such as changing the filters and checking your thermostat, the majority of AC repair should be left to a professional.
California Energy Consultant Services offers AC repair in Northern California that will diagnose any issues and restore your AC to full and efficient functionality. Whenever you notice any unusual noises, smells, or behavior from your AC, contact us for AC repair.